Saturday, October 1, 2011

Autumn along the James River

I happened to find myself with some free time in the Mitchell area late yesterday afternoon so I decided to explore the fall colors along the James River valley north of town. Here are some views I found along the way. The river valley is still flooded. It was weird to see so much water this late in the year. Click on an image for a larger file to view and thanks for stopping by.

A gravel road on the east side of the James just north of Mitchell.
Fall colors just east of Forestburg.
A dirt road in Sanborn county, south of Forestburg.
The trees along the edge of the James just south of Forestburg. I like the contrast of the the dark, seemingly dead trees at the bottom with the blazing autumn colors above.
This tree reminded me of the Ents in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books (and movie).
A view of the James River.
Fall color in a shelter belt north of Forestburg.
My favorite of the evening. Late light accentuates the warmth of this peaceful SD scene.

No comments: