Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hidden Beauty

I wanted to post some of my latest macro shots for you. I really love that lens. Being able to get in and close to the little things is a real eye opener... There is real and definite beauty in the tiny and hidden things. These first three shots were taken on an extremely dewy morning at Lake Isabel. The low sunlight interacting with the droplets was really quite magical. I was soaked by the time I was done, but it was well worth it! As always, click on an image for a larger file to view and thanks for stopping by!



A shot was taken in on one of the hillside trails of the Big Sioux recreation area near Brandon. I believe the flower is called Arnica.

This orange moth was also taken at the Big Sioux Rec. Area. I was surprised the critter let me get as close as he did, but it was a cool evening and that means insects, bugs and the like are a lot less active. So it really is a good time to photograph them if you can find them.

So this may not be a very "pretty" picture, but it is fascinating to me nonetheless. I was out in the Moreau River hills in mid June looking for blooming cactus and just happened to notice this dung beetle being attacked by red-headed thatching ants on a rock face. All of the beetle's legs had an ant attached and they were pulling the legs taught. The beetle could not move. I wanted to stay and see the drama unfold, but the foraging ants quickly found me and were soon up to my knee. I quickly vacated the area.

Two photos of some prairie roses in bloom in the ditch of Cherry Creek road near the Cheyenne River in west-central SD.


Globe Mallow.

I believe this is called "blue-eyed grass." It was taken in the Slim Buttes area of northwestern SD.

I did find prickly pear cactus in bloom on the Cheyenne River Hills near the Foster Bay area. I was amazed by the color variety. One cactus had three different blossoms on it. Below you can see a few of the color variations as well as what lies inside the blossom.



No comments: