Wednesday, July 3, 2013

June's Best

The Milky Way over a country church south of Canova, SD.
June was a whirlwind of great photo opportunities for me.  Two great displays of northern lights, one at the beginning of the month and one to close it out, plus a trip to Montana, Wyoming and many points in between filled my month up full.  Wouldn't want it any other way.  Click on an image for a larger file to view and enjoy a small slice of God's creativity!

Aurora Borealis and a prairie windmill about 10 miles west of Colton, SD.

A little wider shot of the same aurora as above with what I think was the International Space Station streaking across the night sky.

Here is a shot of I-90 near Sturgis, SD from Avalanche Road.  I'm in the midst of doing a photo column series on SD landmarks for southdakotamagazine.com.  This photo is from my post on the hogback and racetrack surrounding the Black Hills.  Here is a link for more: http://southdakotamagazine.com/hogback-racetrack

Lupine flowers in bloom above the shores of Jackson Lake with Wyoming's mighty Tetons on the horizon.

The last light of the day colors the clouds above the Grand Tetons.

Springtime in the Rocky Mountains is a great time to see and photograph wildflowers.  This is a scarlet gilia fairy trumpet.

Blue Camas filled this meadow as the evening light shone through the aspen grove.

My last morning in the mountains I got up early to get the first light of the day hitting Mount Moran with the Snake River in the foreground.  If you'd like to see more photos from the trip please check this link out:
http://cbegeman.smugmug.com/Photography/Rocky-Mountain-Spring-2013/30149550_FWVwBd#!i=2592497148&k=hRNFP6R

My most recent column at southdakotamagazine.com featured the narrows of the Big Bend area on the Missouri River system in central South Dakota.  I visited three times in late May and June to capture quite a variety of wildflowers.  My last trip was dedicated to all the blooming yucca on the hillsides.  

A macro shot of a yucca moth inside a flower.  For more pics from this column check out this link:
http://southdakotamagazine.com/bends-narrows-missouri-river

As a wonderful finale, I was able to witness a Kp7 geomagnetic storm on the night of June 28th-29th.  This photo was taken just east of Hartford, SD just a bit after midnight.  


No comments: