Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mid-Spring in Dakota Territory

New leaves on trees lining the Big Sioux River - April 2012

Tis mid-spring here in South Dakota. The state is getting rain as I write this, which is really good as it was a mild winter and a hot March with little precip. This post is featuring some shots over the last couple weeks and today. Click on an image for a larger file to view and thanks for checking in!

A burrowing owl checking me out from just off the Bad River Road southwest of Ft Pierre over Easter weekend.

A trail heading into the Bad River Breaks. I added a color filter to the sky to give the clouds the color I wanted.

No color filters here. This is the pre-sunrise sky as it appeared from the backside of the prairie chicken blind on Fort Pierre National Grasslands.

Sharp-tailed grouse dancing and displaying.

A meadowlark greeting the morning light.

A prairie chicken lifting off... when hens arrive on the booming grounds, the males often hop, call and make short flights in order to attract the ladies attention... then they dance. My next column at southdakotamagazine.com ( Monday, April 16th) will feature more photos and hopefully a short video if you'd like to see more about the prairie chicken and grouse displays. Check it out: http://southdakotamagazine.com/article?articleAuthor=christian+begeman

A wild violet in the woods of Beaver Creek Natural Area near Brandon, SD.

I think this is an Asian Ladybug but I I'm not exactly sure. It is hard to tell them apart from the normal ladybug.

I believe this is a Red Admiral butterfly. There were many out today at Beaver Creek. Mostly feeding on the dandelions along the walking trails.


Split Rock creek just above Devil's Falls outside of Garretson, SD.

1 comment:

M and E Imaging, M.Oistad said...

Love your photos. Spring here in South Dakota is great, I always look foward to the changes. I always promise myself that one of these springs I'm going to take some time off and spend it in the grasslands and the rest of the state in the spring time.