Saturday, March 12, 2011

Purple Mountain Majesty

The Grand Tetons at first light on a cold winter morning in late February.

One of my bucket lists is to visit all 50 United States. I also visited Grand Teton National Park for the first time in my life last fall and fell in love with the scenery. Add those things to me being in Bozeman, MT the last weekend of February, 2011 and you may understand a little more of why I went out of my way to drive southwest from Bozeman into Idaho and back through the west side of the Teton range. It was a long detour but worth every mile as I was able to reach the Grand Teton National Park as the sun sank behind the range creating amazing light. Plus I added Idaho to the list of states I've visited and am now up to 31.

I stayed just outside of Jackson, WY for the evening and beat the sun up to get in place for the first light to hit the mountains the following morning. It was cold, it was windy, but I'm so glad I did as it was also magical. The Grand Tetons are definitely on my short list for favorite places on planet earth! It is a testimony to me of God's creative genius. That said, I would guess that even one who does not believe as I would still stand in awe of the Tetons at first light. Click any image for a larger file to view and thanks for stopping by.

The view from atop Teton Pass looking in a northeasterly direction. I think the elevation was around 8,400 feet.

Evening shots of the Teton range with the sun setting behind them.


The Grand Teton capped with wispy clouds.


The next morning was overcast and I was initially disappointed as I thought I wouldn't get a chance to see sun light up the mountains. Much to my delight there was a window of light when the sun was at the horizon and before it got lost behind the higher clouds. The band of light first struck Mount Moran and the northerly part of the mountain range. The photos don't do the scene justice at all. It was amazing.

The Snake River reflects the light from the tall peaks. Now I know what lyric in "America the Beautiful" about purple mountain majesty looks like as I've seen it in person.

A young moose on my way out of the parks.

No comments: